As you might know, our offices were affected by Hurricane Sandy. Luckily, we are all safe and on Monday we are back to business as usual (at least for those of us who can get there).
Unfortunately, not everyone was so fortunate and many people suffered immensely. If you’d like to assist with Hurricane Sandy relief, Time Out New York compiled a fantastic list of organizations accepting donations:
- The Food Bank for New York City (text FBNYC to 50555 to make a donation from your mobile device)
- The American Red Cross
- The Salvation Army
- The Humane Society
- North Shore Animal League
- New York Cares (text iCARE to 85944 to donate $10 from your mobile device)
- The Bowery Mission (text BOWERY to 20222 to make a donation from your mobile device)
- The powerHouse Arena (the Dumbo shop was devastated; you can donate to help its clean-up and restocking efforts, and follow its progress on SandyHatesBooks)
- The Seaport Museum (the institution’s lobby, café and more were hit hard by the storm, although its fleet of historic ships came out intact)
- Snug Harbor Cultural Center
- Bailey-Holt House (this center, which provides afforable housing for those living with HIV/AIDS, was flooded during the storm)
- Gilt City New York will donate 30% of the profits from its sales through November 4 to the American Red Cross
- Masbia (the organization is preparing meals for evacuees at the Park Slope Armory, and needs donations to continue its efforts)
If you live in the New York City area, you can also find an extensive list of places to volunteer in the Time Out New York article as well.